“You just need your beauty sleep!” – Is your mother or grandmother keep saying this? It’s not just some myth. Getting enough sleep with the right conditions makes you look healthier and happier, and you will also see the world much prettier.
Sleep is the time that not just passes by but essential for your body to recover. Sleep helps to keep your physical and mental health, and it is also crucial if you would like to look more attractive. Well-rested people always look more beautiful. Try to keep up some routines and habits to get real beauty sleep and achieve the deep sleep that your body requires.
What is beauty, and who do you find attractive?
Definition of beauty is not specific and varies over cultures, time, and personal preferences. Every time and culture has their choices about what they considered beautiful in a person. But one thing is consistent; well-rested people are more attractive than tired ones. And fair or not, researchers pointed out that attractivity is more relevant if you were born as a female. Beautiful women can reach more significant successes and have more children than others who were not considered as attractive by other people.
What are the general factors that decide if you find someone attractive or not?
- Looking healthier – People find more attractive those who look less stressed and healthy. Today a wide range of beauty treatments are available to cover the signs of skin problems or effects of a stressful life. But what if a good sleep can solve it?
- Looking younger – Biologically, humans find younger ones more attractive because it has a message that a young adult can have more children. So general marks of youth as dark eyelashes, spot- and wrinkle less skin, or full eyebrows will make you more attractive. Sleep can also help you to keep up a younger look.
- Looking less tired – If you look tired, then you look sick. And sickness is not attractive. As we said before, humans are attracted to healthier people.
How poor sleep affects your beauty?
Poor sleep affects your whole body, and sleep deprivation is something serious that needs to speak about. But for now, stick to the topic of beauty. After one night of less sleep, there are clearly visible effects on your face and skin such as:
- red eyes
- heavy eyelids
- swollen eyes
- Dehydrated skin
- pale skin
- more wrinkles and fine lines
- dark circles under the eyes
- droopy corners of the mouth
- sadder expressions
- hanging eyelids
- Impaired healing ability
So you need to provide your body and skin the right amount of sleep with ideal conditions. Let’s find out how you can implement this and what benefits it will have.
Benefits of beauty sleep
You will see and can enjoy the benefits of beauty sleep very soon. But what are these benefits?
- Bright eyes and less puffy eyes – Sufficient amount of sleep supports your body to keep up the right water balance, which affects less puffiness under the eyes. You can help your body by saying no to too salty foods and drink enough water.
- Fewer wrinkles – Collagen keeps your face wrinkleless. When you sleep, growth hormone releases and that supports collagen production. Sleep is the most natural way to keep your skin tight without any drastic treatment.
- Less dark circles – Dark circles under your eyes are the most common signs of poor sleep. It is because your facial skin’s fat-storing ability is decreasing, and dark circles are getting worse. Again, deep sleep is a cure for them, and you can avoid surgery.
- Glowing skin – Hyaluronic acid and collagen make your skin younger and more glowing. Sleep can help to release them and give time to your skin to recover every day.
- Improved complexion – Poor sleep increases the stress hormone level, which can worsen certain skin conditions. Rest is not an immediate cure for these problems but can improve complexion.
- More energy and higher engagement – It seems obvious, if you sleep, you will have more energy. But, if you are delighted with your sleep conditions and sleep comfortably, this energizing effect will be more intense.
How to improve sleep to a beauty sleep?
If you do not suffer from sleep deprivation and sleep all night long, it is a good starting point. There are many factors, habits, and accessories that can promote your sleep one level higher to reach beauty sleep. Reach beauty sleep by applying the following basic tricks, and enjoy all the benefits of it. Look younger, healthier, and be more energized. And as a great plus, you can support your weight loss as well by sufficient sleep.
Keep up healthy sleep habits
Basic rules and habits can help you to sleep better and deeper all night long. It is vise to adopt as many as you can and fit your lifestyle to reach the best result. What are these essential habits?
- Stick to a sleep schedule.
- Reduce irregular or long daytime naps
- Practice a relaxing bedtime ritual.
- Exercise daily
- Beware of hidden sleep stealers (reduce caffeine, alcohol, and sugary food intake)
- Turn off electronics before bed.
- Postpone worrying.
- Get help with stress management.
For a more in-depth explanation, you can check out my post about healthy sleep habits.
Create the ideal environment
Your sleeping environment and the atmosphere of your bedroom has a significant effect on your sleep quality. Let’s see some fundamental but still notable factors you should consider to enjoy real beauty sleep all night.
Choose a right pillowcase
It is best if your face contacts the pillowcase for the shortest time possible, so back sleep is preferred. But if you can’t manage to sleep on your back, try to use a satin or silk pillowcase to prevent wrinkles and damages to your hair.
Some excellent choices:
Fishers Finery – Pure Mulberry Silk Pillowcase Set
Luxor Linens – Valentino 1200 Thread Count Egyptian Cotton Sheets
Sleep on your back
People tend to sleep on their side, but this way, your face is pushed against the pillow throughout the night. This sleeping position can lead to your skin’s sagging because it will lose its elasticity, and sleeping on your side or stomach can lead to wrinkles over time.
Sleeping positions significantly affect your whole body and sleep quality, so if you are interested in this topic, my post about sleeping postures could benefit you.
Luxome – LAYR Customizable Pillow
Royal Hotel Medium Firm Down Pillow
Hydration keeps your skin fresh and glowing. While you are sleeping, you do not drink water for a more extended period, so the cells in your skin are getting dehydrated, your skin loses its elasticity. Running a humidifier in your bedroom is a great way to keep up the hydration of your skin. Humidifiers are taking up water and pushing it into the air.
Today’s humidifiers are well designed as well, so they can be excellent design elements of your bedroom. These are great choices:
Hupro – Air Humidifier for Bedroom
TaoTronics – Cool Mist Humidifier
Invest in a perfect mattress
An old or low-quality mattress can ruin the whole night. Instead of relaxing and undisturbed sleep, you will move around in your bed without falling asleep. So investing in a perfect mattress is crucial for beauty sleep. Finding what suits your needs will be worth the effort. If you are fed up with endless searching, check out these exceptional items:
Sealy Posturepedic – Hybrid Kelburn II Mattress
Tempur Pedic – Pro Adapt Medium Hybrid Mattress
Keep the temperature low
Are you a cold sleeper? Maybe this point won’t be your favorite. But the National Sleep Foundation suggests keeping the temperature in the bedroom between 60 and 67 Fahrenheit degrees. It seems low? This low temperature is when your body can concentrate on the repairing function the best. So you should turn the thermostat down in the late afternoon to let the bedroom cool down a bit before you go to bed. Are you afraid that you will forget it, or are you not at home at all? Use a programmable thermostat. It will make your life much more comfortable.
Honeywell Home – T9 WIFI Smart Thermosta
Google – T3007ES Nest Learning Thermostat 3rd Generation
Regular actions that make a difference
Now you have your bedtime routine for every night and have a welcoming and relaxing bedroom. Everything is settled for beauty sleep, but there are still a few things to do. Some activities that you need to do for complete success every evening when heading to bed. Don’t worry; I’m talking about easy and not expensive to do-s.
Wash your face
Your skin was with you the whole day while working, exercising, cooking, and playing with the kids. So it is vital to remove your make-up and clean all the residual dirt and oils from it. This way, you can eliminate the risk of breakouts.
Micellar cleansing water is an ideal solution for removing the make-up and cleaning your skin.
SKINTIFIQUE Store – Gentle and simple micellar water
ISDIN – Micellar Solution Hydrating Makeup Remover
Wear a sleep mask
A dark environment is essential for quality sleep. To guarantee complete darkness, use a sleep mask to cover your eyes. The best solution is to use a silk one because it doesn’t exert too much pressure on your skin. The lower the pressure, the less wrinkle it generates.
Maxfeel – Feel 100% Pure Silk Eye Mask
ZIMASILK – 100% Pure Mulberry Silk Sleep Mask
It is impossible to get a satisfactory rest if some noise is always disturbing you. So to guarantee undisturbed resting, get an earplug that you can use during the night. Block all surrounding noise with these items:
The Ear Buddy – Premium Soft Foam Ear Plugs
ANBOW – Reusable Silicone Ear Plugs
Keep up or cover your hair
If you are keeping your hair away from your face will have a double benefit. The first most apparent is that your hair will suffer less damage while sleeping if you do not scrub it to the pillowcase and sheet. The second reason why you should keep your hair up is that this way naturally accrues oil and dirt can’t accumulate on your face.
Awefeel – Double Layer Satin Sleep Cap for Long Hair
YANIBEST – Hair Cover Bonnet (Sleep Cap)
After you cleaned your face, use some night cream to keep your skin hydrated over the night. Day creams are fine, but you will need a good night version to keep your skin’s youthful look as you get older. Moisturizing is essential to keep away wrinkles as long as possible.
Filorga – Time-Filler Night Absolute Correction
Vichy – LiftActiv Supreme Night Cream
To keep your skin hydrated and look younger, you can never forget about drinking enough water. To mix the things up a bit, you can prepare some soda water, water with lime or cucumber. Be creative, and you will never get tired of drinking water. Try to avoid caffeine, alcohol, and sugary beverages.
Keep a bottle of water on your bedside table, and have a sip when you feel thirsty. Some excellent choices to store water for the night:
Vmini – Stainless Steel Water Bottle
VitaJuwel – Gemwater Infused Glass Bottle
Tricks to handle sleeplessness
After all, you still cannot sleep? Don’t worry; there are some techniques and tricks that can help you to deal with sleeplessness. And further on, if tricks don’t bring the expected relief, modern science can support you. You can visit your doctor and sleep centers for help. So, what to do if you can’t fall asleep?
- Try to calm your mind – There is a common trick you might don’t know to calm down and fall asleep. Close your eyes, try to rule out any disturbing circumstances, and start to count backward from 100. Focus just on the numbers, nothing else. You can try to visualize them as well while keeping your eyes shut. Using this method, you will get relaxed and can fall asleep.
- Write a journal – Keeping a journal next to your bed could be very useful if you find it too hard to fall asleep. Grab your journal and write down your thoughts and feelings. While you are writing them down, you will feel that you are calming down.
- Get out of bed – Can’t fall asleep? Don’t force it. Get up a bit and leave your bedroom till you get sleepy again. Try to avoid electronics and harsh light. Read a book, listen to soft music, or solve a crossword puzzle.
- Visit your doctor – If none of the above tricks helped, it is time to visit your doctor for further advice. Talk to him or her about your problems. If you are a woman, it could happen you are just facing some hormonal change. Women are suffering more often from sleep deprivation than men. If you are interested in the reasons, check my post on why women’s sleep is different.
- Consult your doctor for medications – Many medications can bring relief, but never start to use any of them without consulting a doctor.
A good night’s sleep makes not just you but the whole world much prettier. A deep beauty sleep will make you more attractive to others, but you will be more capable of seeing other people’s beauty and being less judgmental. So if you think that your surroundings are dull, ugly or boring, you just might need some rest.
Adopt the above techniques, routines, and habits to improve your sleep to beauty sleep and enjoy a prettier world in a more attractive body.
Do you have other good practices? Did I miss something? Share your thoughts with me, and discuss our opinions!
You might be interested: